Summer 2018 Cook the Books Series
This summer, we read:
Mr. Popper’s Penguins
A Series of Unfortunate Events (books 1-8)
For a glimpse into the classes, please see this link!
Special Valentine’s Day Class: Book Making and Cooking
Please join me for a very special Valentine’s Cook the Books class featuring the book Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love. This book looks sugary on the outside, but has some very thoughtful content within! We’ll work on our own versions of this sweet little book. And of course bake cookies. I’m excited to work with young readers and artists on this project, wherever it takes them! Lunch and materials included, hours are 11 AM-2. Please click the dates below to sign up! Definitely call or text me at 512-350-2815 if you would like to get a little more info.
COOK THE BOOKS #1
JUNE 18, 2016 | EDIT
The book: Bad Beginnings, or Orphans! by Lemony Snicket
Dishes: Pasta Puttanesca and Chocolate Pudding
Please post comments here on this private page if you want to talk about the book or the recipes!
• 1 cup Vanilla Greek-Style Yogurt
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened chocolate cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup (more or less to taste)
Note 1: It helps to sift the cocoa powder- that is a trick for any recipe with cocoa!
Note 2: Violet, Klaus and Sunny did not make their pudding with yogurt, but they are very creative and they would approve of this approach to making pudding!
Pasta Puttanesca Recipe (via Food Revolution)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Level of Difficulty: Easy
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed in a press
• 4 anchovy filets, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
• 2 teaspoons capers
• 1/2 cup black or kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
• 1 large can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 box pasta (we like how sauce clings to penne), cooked and drained
• freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1 Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until translucent.
2 Add anchovies and cook for another minute, breaking up the filets with a wooden spoon.
3 Add the chili flakes, capers, olives, tomatoes with juices, salt, sugar and pepper and bring to a boil.
4 Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5 Divide pasta into four bowls and top each with sauce and grated Parmesan.